I did not take this photo. I do not have a story for it. I am not changed because of it.
photo credit: Imagine1day
This year will be different. This one’s important. And it takes a village. So I’m hoping maybe, just maybe, you might want to – (wait for it!) – change the world with me.
My wheels have been spinning about this post for quite some time – where to even begin – because the journey that got me here is excitingly long and it just so happens I’m long-winded. (I was never able to keep up with the concise writing style that journalism school, without success, drilled into me…). There is not a coffee cup big enough for the conversations I’d love to have. So bear with me for a second.
The short of it is this: I am going to Ethiopia in October. We’re raising money to build a school. And the energy of it all is spilling over into every part of my life and our business. (yay!) What this means for you – photography sessions with 100% of the profits going straight to build a school in Ethiopia. Not a cent to overhead. win. win! more on that below. way below.
The long of it is…
Earlier this year, I serendipitously stumbled across the work of Imagine1day. Their understanding of our world and the potential in each of us to do good and rethink possibility is inspiring. Their mission even more so. It was decided – I needed to be a part of it.
Today, there are more than 3 million children in Ethiopia who do not go to school. A country full of possibility and PROMISE, its leaders want to change just that. The goals are in place. The work is starting. And Imagine1day is getting behind it – creating a global community of passionate people doing just the same. They work closely with Ethiopian community and government partners to create accessible, equitable and sustainable education programs to ensure every child in Ethiopia receives a quality primary education. By 2020.
I know you’ve heard this story before – it’s a similar story, different country, same sense of insurmountable goals. And it’s really easy to feel the world is just too big to make a difference. But all we have to do is start.
As part of the ImagineEthiopia team, I’m committed to helping raise the needed $100,000 to provide one primary school program for a remote community in the northern Tigray Region. This primary school program is comprehensive and includes the school structure, a water point, latrines, desks, books, PTA leadership development, school supplies and equipment, teacher training, and seed funding for school income generation activities. Pretty rad huh?
Let’s do something amazing. really amazing. All we really want – each of us – is to be a part of something. To move mountains. To make our mark.
Let’s make our mark.
Let’s start with Mother’s Day – that day dedicated to your very first educator. I invite you to be one of 10 families to sign up for a photography session to take place on Sunday, May 15 – gift it to mom. gift it to yourself. Wherever you gift it, 100% of your donation will go to the very school in Ethiopia that – together – we will build.
The Fine Print:
- What: 40 minute photography sessions – families, couples, photography mentoring. you name it. Includes the disc of high-res digital negatives to print as you’d like
- When: Sunday, May 15 (All sessions MUST take place on this date…*rain date would be Sunday May 22) Time slots will be allocated once all spots are filled.
- Where: Somewhere magical! Denver Metro area park (I promise you’ll love it – it’s our secret little spot…)
- Minimum donation of $250…give to your heart’s content! ($750 value)
- Space is limited to 10 sessions and will be granted to those who email first.
- The top three donors will receive a print package to include three signed and dated 5×7 prints in 8×10 mattes
- To secure your spot: email me at email@example.com with the donation amount you’d like to make and any information about your family (or who you’ll be gifting it to…ages of children, engagement shoot etc, nap-time schedule restrictions for young kids). I’ll follow up as soon as I can with verification, the donation link information and a gift card.
Whatever you do, whatever moves you – just start. It starts with you.
And that – that’s pretty awesome. That just might – make your mama proud.
If you would like simply to make a contribution to Imagine1Day – well, that’s pretty cool too. The goals are big and I know that the giving happens in $5 and $10 increments. It happens on random Tuesdays and it comes out of the woodwork in unassuming ways – I’d love to take your heart along with me in any way. To make a donation, click here.
With so much GRATITUDE!